What do mayflies and phishing websites have in common?
Mayflies have the shortest lifespan on Earth, living for only 24 hours. Most phishing sites today “live” for about the same time. Here are 5 important facts to understand about phishing. The more you know, the better protected you can be!
- Impossible to shut down: 84% of phishing sites exist for less than 24 hours, with an average life of under 15 hours.
- Expensive threat for businesses: Of SMBs that fell victim to ransomware, 43% came from phishing, according to a Ponemon Institute survey, September 2016.
- Retail is at risk: Retail and service industries are the most targeted online industries for phishing attacks, according to an APWG survey, 4th quarter 2016.
- Users continue to put companies at risk: In a survey last year conducted by FAU Germany, 20% of people ADMITTED to clicking on links in mock phishing emails, BUT 45% actually clicked. A higher percentage of users fell victim than are willing to admit it!
- Businesses aren’t adjusting security plans: According to Barkly’s survey on cyber security last quarter, 52% of businesses who suffered successful cyber attacks are hesitant to make a change!
It may seem like an obvious choice to review and adjust your security plans, especially if you’ve been a victim of cyber attacks! So why aren’t companies doing just that? Money! A lack of additional budget, or maybe even a decrease, may hinder your ability to recreate your plan. For SMBs, sometimes the hardest step is figuring the first one to take. Let us help you out with a FREE technology assessment for your business!