Industry 4.0 has arrived. What are you doing to be a part of digital transformation in your organization?
Archives for July 2017
What do pushcarts from the 17th century have to do with driverless cars?
20 years ago, chess legend Garry Kasparov lost to IBM’s Deep Blue robot in a match dubbed, “The Brain’s Last Stand.” This year, he gave an intriguing TED talk about AI. What do you think? Are you excited for the possibilities in our robot-dominated future?
Ten years ago, Apple released its first iPhone and disrupted the mobile phone industry. Turns out, 2007 was a revolutionary year for tech. Can you remember what else impacted industries that same year?
The year 2007 changed our world. Here’s a list of 5 events that year that prove it:
- Apple launched the iPhone. If you signed an agreement with AT&T and paid $399, you could be one of the first to snag one. Oh, and you’d need to camp out, too.
- Kindle was released. Its initial cost was also $399 and Amazon led the way with digital readers.
- Android was released. Google announced the “Open Handset Alliance,” which some thought was announcing future GPhones. How many could have imagined the number of Android phones developed today?
- IBM had an “embryonic project” in which they began training Watson to play Jeopardy.
- One of the most user-friendly, wireless home energy control systems hit the consumer market, GreenSwitch. When homeowners left, they could easily turn off all wall plugs, lights and thermostats, saving energy. Come home, switch it on. Installation cost just over $1,000.
Looking over these five items, it’s incredible to think that ten years ago, we were embarking on this tech wave. Today, iPhones, Androids, eBooks, AI and smart homes are ubiquitous. We are in the midst of the 4th industrial revolution today. What tech do you think will influence industries over the next decade with the same impact of the five above? Will one of your ideas change the future? With how connected we are globally, it’s exciting to see the pace and scope of digital disruption!